Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Fucking Hat Thursdays

Sometimes I try to cheer myself up when I've been having an amazingly boring/stupid/evil/average day by a phrase that my mom and I did one day when we were both having boring/stupid/evil/average days: "At least it's Friday!" followed with "Oh wait..." For some unknown reason this amuses us to no end, and we've added more to it like, "At least we have great shows to work on" or "At least we have a radio." (the sharp witted people among you can guess what we're lacking now.)

My day hasn't been that bad, but it hasn't been terrific either. Some days, when they're bad (read: fight with Michaele that apparently people came downstairs after I left to gossip about) it speeds up the process, albeit leaving me with the rage of 10,000 suns flowing within my ever darkening soul. I suppose I should stop talking about my job all the time. There's only so much complaining to go around.

---

Monica and I are going to see Oh Lady! Lady!! tonight at 42nd Street Moon. Hopefully it won't be one of those awkward things where they know they haven't cast me and are still trying to be nice but haven't actually made the call yet so they don't really want to tell me right then and there and then my hopes are up because they're being nice but the reality of the thing is that they're just being nice because they're very uncomfortable. Let's hope.

I also hope it's a good show. My friend Michael Cassidy is in it, and while I am confident that he's a good actor, I've never see him do anything other than yell at people during Hair. (He is one of the few people to get mentioned in the review, after all. (For Hair, not for Oh Lady! Lady!!)) Monica and I are going to Fuzio's first, to use the gift certificates we recieved for doing High School Musical. I'm thinking that it will be a grand evening out, even if things get awkward in my head. Maybe it will become a sitcom where I try and impress them with my singing abilities in an offhanded way, telling them that my throat is so much more lubricated today, and then they think I'm coming on to them, and then we have an awkward time in a coatroom where I think I'm with Monica, when in actuality it's the casting director from 42nd Street Moon. Awkward!

---

33 more minutes. In that time I'm going to catch up on my reading and double check my audition coming up this weekend for CalShakes. Here are the monologues I'll be doing (mostly written here so I can see if I have them memorized:

Edmund from King Lear

Thou, nature, art my goddess, to thy law
My services are bound. Wherefore must I
Stand in the plague of custom and permit
The curiosity of nations to deprive me
For that I am some twelve to fourteen moonshines
Lag of a brother? Why bastard? Wherefore base?
When my dimensions are as well compact,
My mind as generous, and my shape as true
As honest madam's issue? Why brand they us
With base? Baseness? Bastardy? Well then,
Legitimate Edgar, I must have your land:
Our father's love is to the bastard Edmund,
As for the legitimate. Fine word, legitimate!
Well my legitimate, if this letter speed,
And my invention thrive, Edmund the base
Shall top the legitimate. I grow; I prosper:
Now, gods, stand up for bastards!

And Algernon from The Importance of Being Earnest

And why should your aunt call you her uncle? It says here, "From Little Cecily, with her fondest love, to her dear Uncle Jack." Now, there is no objection, I admit, to an aunt being a small aunt, but why an aunt, no matter what her size may be, should ever call her own nephew her uncle, I can't quite make out! Besides, your name isn't Jack at all; it's Ernest.

You have always told me it was Ernest. You answer to the name of Ernest. I've introduced you to people as Ernest. You look as if you're name was Ernest - you are the most Ernest looking person I've ever seen in my life! It's perfectly absurd to say that your name isn't Ernest it's... on your cards. Here is one of them: "Mr. Ernest Worthing, B4, The Albany." I'm going to keep this, as proof that your name is Ernest if ever you try to deny it to me, or to Gwendolyn, or to Anyone Else.

(I'll do that last one with a British accent. Yeah, I know, but it's just not right without one. Go ahead, try it without one, I'll wait.)

---

10 minutes now! That ate up some time. Guess it's time to do the ol' lables.

No comments: